Wednesday, September 19, 2012

More Mushrooms

Mushroom Soup!
Hi Everyone,  Today this is what's keeping me from making more cards.  My friendly neighbor up the road called last night to ask if I wanted some Puffball Mushrooms.  I don't think I have found one for about 5 years, so I was very excited and went to pick up three of them this morning.  This one is at least basketball sized.

Tonight when we walked the dog, we went through the woods and what do you think!  We found a couple small ones in our woods.  I make mushroom soup to freeze.  I don't add the milk until I am ready to use the soup, as I am not sure milk freezes well.  My recipe is below.
1 qt chicken stock
1/2 c onions - chopped
1/2 c celery - chopped

Peel and cut/dice mushroom and add to chicken stock with onion and celery.  Simmer for about 20 minutes, or longer. (I used half a mushroom this size for two batches)

Melt 1/2 stick butter or a bit more.
Add to 1/2 c flour 

Add some of the 'soup' to the flour mixture in a separate bowl and mix till smooth.  Then pour it into the soup and stir.  Careful.  It's hot.

Add milk and half and half to taste when you are ready to eat it.

I love it.  I love it, but mostly I think I am so excited because I conquered a mushroom.

1 comment:

  1. Good grief - I've never seen a puffball that big!!! I don't think they can grow to that size here. I'm with you on milk not freezing well - for emergencies only.

    ReplyDelete